Setting New Boundries
My life has gotten a bit more complicated the last two months… maybe challenging would be a better word. In November I was asked to take on the preaching responsibilities for my church for the next six months and I accepted. I agreed knowing that I would be pressed in with a packed schedule and many more responsibilities. Stress would increase… I determined as I went into this season that I needed to have some more rigid boundaries to help me navigate my responsibilities. With the help of my wife, here’s what I came up with:
- I need to lessen my professional schedule appropriately. This has never been easy for me to do, but it is mandated by the need for speaking preparation.
- Maintain a healthy exercise regimen. It’s necessary for me to continue to take time to work out and allow my stress to be dealt with naturally.
- Accountability to an objective mentor that will ask hard questions and give me a 30,000 foot perspective.
- Implement a tweaking process that will allow adjustments to help me adjust to factors not accounted for.
- A Sabbath rest that is non-negotiable. This consists of a day where I do no work and enjoy my family and commune with God.
These boundaries might appear simplistic, but they have helped so far and I would commend them to you as a template that might aid you in your own challenging schedule. Here’s to becoming healthier in 2013!